Since WordPress 5.5, an XML sitemaps functionality is provided in the WordPress core. These sitemaps let search engine crawlers find all URLs quickly and comprehensively.
But there is not any configuration interface. This plugin provides an options page for all XML sitemaps generated by the WordPress core.
WP Sitemaps Config let you easily
- disable the XML sitemaps completely with a single click
- remove the sitemaps for all public posts, pages, categories, tags, post formats and users
- remove the sitemaps for all public custom post types and custom taxonomies
- add the entries Priority, Change Frequency and Last Modification Date to each URL
- exclude single posts and pages from the XML sitemaps
This plugin is ready for multi sites. It requires WordPress 5.5 or higher. To use the XML sitemaps the PHP extension SimpleXML must run on your server.
You want to test WP Sitemaps Config before installing on your site? Try it out on your free dummy site and click here.
This section describes how to install the plugin and get it working.
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress
- Go to ‘Settings’ > ‘XML Sitemap’
- fixed issue with excluding pages because pages wouldn’t exclude anymore
- removed empty lines from post sitemap (reported by @gregslegs).
- changed filter to remove urls from post sitemap
- code improvement
- moved language files to GlotPress. So, please contribute as a translator to make WP Sitemaps Config available in more and more languages.
- Compatibility check with WordPress 5.9
- Compatibility check with WordPress 5.8
- Compatibility check with WordPress 5.7
- Compatibility check with WordPress 5.6.2
- New branding
- Added functions to exclude single posts and pages from the sitemaps
- Added sidebar on the settings pages of this plugin
- Added header images and icon on the WordPress plugin’s page
- Added post metadata removal during uninstalling this plugin
- Published on 2020-10-24
- Initial release at 2020-09-01